MS Access for the Business Environment: Reporting in MS Access: Grouped Transactional Report Part II - Page 9
October 6, 2003
The straightforward setup for the CustomerID header section is complete. Next, we will consider the CustomerID footer section. We will take advantage of the shortcut we used earlier in "cloning" a large part of the text we need, as we did earlier, to save time and effort.
26. In the CustomerID header section, select the CustomerID label control (now captioned "Customer:"), and, pressing the SHIFT key, select the other two controls (all three controls in the header should be selected).
27. Press the CTRL-C key combination.
28. Click inside the CustomerID footer section.
29. Press the CTRL-V key combination.
This pastes the controls, together with the adjustments and formatting that we have already performed in the CustomerID header, into the footer. We will next arrange it as needed in the footer section, as well as to handle any required modifications.
30. Using the methods we have outlined earlier, move the compound controls so that they align with the controls from which they were cloned in the CustomerID header. (This can most easily be accomplished by selecting all simultaneously, then dragging and dropping so that the left border of the CustomerID label control approximately aligns with the 1/8 - inch mark on the horizontal border.)
We have an alteration here, similar to the one we made in the OrderDate footer earlier: We again want to modify the text in the footer to indicate it is a "totals" line.
31. Right-click the CustomerID label control in the CustomerID footer.
32. Select Properties from the context menu that appears.
33. Select the Format tab of the Properties sheet.
34. Modify the Caption field at the top of the Format tab to read as follows:
The Properties sheet - Format tab for the CustomerID label control appears as depicted in Illustration 29.
35. Close the Properties sheet.
36. Move the pointer to the bottom of the CustomerID footer section, placing it between the CustomerID footer section and the Page footer section.
37. Hold down the left button on the mouse, as soon as the "double-arrow" image appears.
38. Drag the Page footer section border up, until a tight fit is achieved for the controls we have included.
39. Release the button to fix the border in place.
The CustomerID header and footer sections now appear in the report as shown in Illustration 30.
Let's perform another preview of our evolving report.
40. Click the Print Preview button.
41. Type the following into the AsOfDate box that appears:
42. Click OK to apply the date.
The report executes, returning data that appears similar to that partially shown in Illustration 31.
43. Click the Close button to close the Preview window.
44. Save your work as desired, as a safety measure.
The basic ingredients of the report are now in place. We next need to add totals to the footers to round out the basic functionality of the report.