Drilling through from an MDX Query
First, we will open the MSSQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager, from which we can easily access Data Transformation Services for the purposes of a practice session for writing our query against an OLAP cube.
1. Go to the Start button on the PC, and then navigate to Microsoft SQL Server ---> Enterprise Manager, as shown below:
2. Click Enterprise Manager.
The Enterprise Manager - Console Root appears.
3. Expand Microsoft SQL Servers by clicking the "+" sign to its immediate left.
4. Expand SQL Server Group by clicking the "+" sign to its immediate left.
Enterprise Manager now appears as shown below:
Illustration 16: MSSQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager View
5. Right-click the MSSQL Server in the tree (most likely named after the computer on which it resides--mine is MOTHER, as shown above).
6. Click All Tasks, as shown in Illustration 17 below.
Illustration 17: Select Import Data - and Call DTS
7. Click Import Data from the context menu.
The Data Transformation Services (DTS) Import / Export Wizard - Introduction dialog appears, as depicted in Illustration 18.
Illustration 18: The Data Transformation Services (DTS) Import / Export Wizard Introduction Screen Appears
8. Click Next.
The Data Transformation Services (DTS) Import / Export Wizard - Choose a Data Source dialog appears.
9. Select Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Olap Services 8.0 via the dropdown selector in the Data Source box.
The Choose a Data Source dialog changes in appearance, to be context sensitive to the data source provider we have selected.
10. Click the Properties button.
The Data Link Properties dialog appears, defaulted to the Connection tab.
11. Click the Provider tab.
12. Ensure that Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Olap Services 8.0 is selected, as shown in Illustration 19.
Illustration 19: Data Link Properties Dialog - Provider Tab
13. Click Next.
We are returned to the Data Link Properties - Connection tab.