SQL Server 2000 Administration in 15 Minutes a Week: Basic Installation - Page 2
May 10, 2002
Click to Enlarge
Enter your name and company information and click Next.
7. To continue the installation we are asked to read the licensing agreement.
Click to Enlarge
Read the agreement and click "Yes" if you agree or click "No" if you do not agree with the licensing terms. Note if you click "No" the installation will be terminated.
8. Next we need to choose what type of Installation we would like to perform.
Client Tools Only -- Installs the Client Tools that allow you to manage a remote SQL Server
Server and Client Tools -- Installs an instance of SQL server and the Client Tools
Connectivity Only -- Installs the Data Access Components (DAC) and Network Libraries so applications can access a SQL Server instance
Select "Server and Client Tools" and click Next.
9. The Instance Name is the next option we are presented with. If you are installing SQL Server as a Default Instance you leave the "Default" checkbox checked. If you need to install a Named Instance you must uncheck "Default" and you will then be required to enter a valid name for the instance in the "Instance Name" textbox. For information on what is and is not a valid Named Instance name, have a look at my first article in this series: SQL Server 2000 Administration Fundamentals.
Leave the "Default" checkbox checked and click Next.
10. We must now select the setup type.
Typical -- Installs required files and the most commonly used optional files
Minimum -- Installs only required files
Custom -- Installs required files and then you will be prompted to select which optional files you would like installed. Custom setup also allows you to set the collation and network libraries that are used.
*By adding and removing components the Custom installation size will change.
* Where "InstanceName" is the name of your SQL Server Instance.
Select "Custom" and unless you have a specific reason to change the destination folders (such as not having the disk space needed) leave them as default and click Next.