Reporting Options for Analysis Services Cubes: Cognos PowerPlay - Page 10
June 16, 2003
The Washington cities appear in the row axis at left, as depicted in Illustration 49.
click for larger image
10. Click the Measures label in the top left corner of the display to obtain a flyout menu that presents the available measures list, as shown in Illustration 50.
11. Select Warehouse Sales from the measures list on the flyout menu.
12. Click the WA label at the bottom left of the display (at the bottom of the city row labels.
13. Select Action > Nest > Product, as shown in Illustration 51.
We have nested the Product dimension within the Stores dimension at the cities category level, resulting in a display as depicted in Illustration 52.
NOTE: Some of your values may differ from the illustrations, depending upon differences in source data, etc.
Now let's make a couple of simple additions to the presentation to make it a bit more useful from a financial analysis standpoint. We will create a calculated column to display the change in our totals between 1997 and 1998, and another calculated column to provide the percent change, both fairly common features in financial reporting.
14. Click the column axis dimension selector (currently Time in the blue "capsule" selector in the right upper corner or the display).
15. Select Action to display the flyout menu depicted in Illustration 53 below.
16. Click -> Insert Calculation from the flyout menu.
The Calculation dialog appears.
17. Select Subtract in the Operation selector.
18. Select 1998 in the top Category selector.
19. Select 1997 in the second Category selector (appearing under Minus:).
20. Type $ Change into the Calculation Name field.
The competed Calculation dialog appears as shown in Illustration 54.
21. Click OK to add the new calculated column.
The $ Change column appears.
22. Click the column axis dimension selector (Time) again.
23. Select Action -> Insert Calculation again.
24. Select Divide in the Operation selector of the Calculation dialog.
25. Select $ Change in the top Category selector.
26. Select 1997 in the second Category selector (appearing under Divided by:).
27. Type % Change into the Calculation Name field.
The competed Calculation dialog appears as shown in Illustration 55.
28. Click OK to add the new calculated column.
The % Change column appears. The display, together with our two new calculated column additions, appears as partially shown in Illustration 56.