Introduction to MSSQL Server 2000 Analysis Services: Build a Web Site Traffic Analysis Cube: Part II - Page 7
August 25, 2003
Because we are focusing on concepts and general procedures in this lesson, we will stop at the Month level, even though, had our source date fields consisted of data that was truly of a datetime type, we might have proceeded to build our model to support analysis at the hour, or even lower, levels. This is not an uncommon requirement with web statistics analysis, in my experience, and Analysis Services is certainly up to the task, assuming that the appropriate level of granularity exists in the source data.
At this juncture, the cube tree should appear as shown in Illustration 26.
Now let's focus on the IPAdd dimension, which, in this simple model, will store IP Address information for the visitors to our web site.
39. Select the IPAdd dimension in the Dimensions folder.
40. Click the Basic tab in the Properties pane, as required.
41. Rename the dimension to Source.
42. Type the following into the Description property:
Visitor IP Address
The Basic tab of the Properties pane for the Source dimension appears as shown in Illustration 27.
43. Click the Advanced tab in the Properties pane.
44. Type the following into the All Caption property:
The Advanced tab of the Properties pane for the Source dimension appears as depicted in Illustration 28.
45. Expand the Source dimension to expose the IPAdd level underneath.
46. Click the IPAdd level to select it in the cube tree.
47. Ensure the Basic tab in the Properties pane is selected.
48. Rename the level to IP Address.
49. Press Enter to apply the changes.
The cube tree should now appear as depicted in Illustration 29.
Let's make one more enhancement to our cube before saving and processing it. We will enable drillthrough to allow us to "explode" on a specific value within our browses to see the underlying detail at the source table level.
1. Select Tools -> Drillthrough Options ... from the main menu.
The Cube Drillthrough Options dialog appears.
2. Click the Enable Drillthrough check box (in the upper left corner of the dialog) to check it.
3. Click the "Date" and "IPAdd" check boxes to check them.
The Cube Drillthrough Options dialog appears as shown in Illustration 30.
4. Click OK.
The Drillthrough Settings warning message box appears, as seen in Illustration 31.
5. Click OK.
We will process the cube at this stage.