MSSQL Server Reporting Services: The Authoring Phase: Overview Part I - Page 3
February 26, 2004
Creating the Report Project and the Report Files
We will begin a basic report, based upon a table in our data source. For this exercise, we will use the AdventureWorks2000 OLTP database that ships / installs with Reporting Services.
Creating the Report Project
First, we will launch Reporting Services' Report Designer, found in Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003.
1. Click Start.
2. Navigate to the Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 in the Programs group, as appropriate. The equivalent on my PC appears as shown in Illustration 1.
Click for larger image
3. Select File --> New from the main menu.
4. Click Project from the cascading menu, as shown in Illustration 2.
The New Project dialog appears, as depicted in Illustration 3. We note that Business Intelligence Projects appears in the Project Types tree, indicating an installation of Reporting Services (the folder was added by the installation of Reporting Services, as it established the Report Designer in Visual Studio .NET).
5. Click Business Intelligence Projects in the Project Types list.
6. Click Report Project in the Templates list.
7. Navigate to a location in which to place the Report Project files.
8. Type the following into the Name box, leaving other settings at default:
The New Project dialog appears, with our addition, as shown in Illustration 4.
9. Click OK.
Our new project appears in the Solution Explorer (upper right corner of the Visual Studio .NET interface), as we see in Illustration 5.
We have now created a Report Project, and are ready to proceed with creating a Report File.