MSSQL Server Reporting Services: Master Chart Reports: Pie Charts in Reporting Services - Page 3
August 30, 2004
Create a New Chart Report
In this section, we will launch Reporting Services' Report Designer, and then create a new report with a dataset. Next, we will place the chart item on the report. Finally, we will populate the report item.
Create a Blank Report
Let's begin by creating a blank report.
1. Right-click the Reports folder in Solutions Explorer.
2. Select Add from the context menu that appears.
3. Click Add New Item from the cascading menu, as shown in Illustration 5.
Click for larger image
4. Click Report in the Add New Item dialog.
5. Type the following into the Name box, replacing the default of Report1.rdl (or similar).
The Add New Item dialog appears, as shown in Illustration 6.
6. Click the Open button at the bottom of the Add New Item dialog.
The design environment opens. We see the Data, Layout and Preview tabs appear in the Report Designer (I have docked many of my toolbars in places I find convenient, and so your environment may differ somewhat). The report has opened in Data View, as shown in Illustration 7.