MSSQL Server Reporting Services: Black Belt Components: Ad Hoc Conditional Formatting for OLAP Reports - Page 5
December 20, 2004
Create a Copy the FoodMart Sales Report
As we have noted, we will be working with a copy of the FoodMart Sales report, to keep the original sample intact for easy access and use at another time.
1. Right-click the Reports folder underneath the newly created shared data source, in the Solution Explorer.
2. Select Add --> Add Existing Item from the cascading context menus that appear, as depicted in Illustration 10.
The Add Existing Item - RS012 dialog appears.
When we installed Reporting Services, the default installation point for the sample report files was the Samples folder within the Reporting Services program folder. A common example of this default path is as follows:
C:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Reporting Services\Samples\Reports
3. Using the Add Existing Item - RS012 dialog, navigate to the location of the sample reports in your own environment.
An example of the Add Existing Item - RS012 dialog, having been pointed to the Samples folder (which contains the FoodMart Sales report we seek), appears as shown in Illustration 11.
4. Right-click the FoodMart Sales report inside the dialog.
5. Select Copy from the context menu that appears, as depicted in Illustration 12.
6. Right-click somewhere in the white space to the right of the report files within the dialog.
7. Select Paste from the context menu that appears, as shown in Illustration 13.
A copy of the FoodMart Sales report appears, with "Copy of" appended at the front of the name of the file, within the dialog.
8. Right-click the new file.
9. Select Rename from the context menu that appears.
10. Type the following name in place of the highlighted existing name:
NOTE: Be sure to include the .rdl extension in the file name.
The copy of the FoodMart Sales sample report appears as depicted in Illustration 14.
11. Select the new file by clicking it, if necessary.
12. Click Open on the dialog box to add the new report to report project RS012.
AdHocCondFormat_Foodmart Sales.rdl appears in the Reports folder, within the RS012 project tree in the Solution Explorer, as shown in Illustration 15.
Having created a copy of the functional report, we are now ready to make the enhancements requested by the FoodMart information consumers.