MSSQL Server Reporting Services : Black Belt Administration: Execution Log Performance and Audit Reports - Page 3
February 22, 2005
Creating and Populating a Folder with the Components We Will Need
To prepare for our session with the Execution Log sample reports, we will create a folder to house the reports, along with other objects that we will need to complete our practice exercises. The folder can be created anywhere on the PC that is convenient from a local perspective.
1. Right-click Start.
2. Select Explore to launch Windows Explorer.
3. Navigate to a convenient place to create the folder that will contain the "collateral" for our practice session.
4. Create a folder named as follows:
The folder appears similar to that depicted in Illustration 2.
5. Locate the Reporting Services installation CD on an accessible CD drive.
6. Navigate to the following folder (or it's equivalent, substituting your own CD drive for "F:" below):
F:\extras\Execution Log Sample Reports
The contents of the Execution Log Sample Reports folder appear similar to that shown in Illustration 3.
7. Select Edit --> Select All from the Windows Explorer main menu.
The contents of the Execution Log Sample Reports folder become highlighted.
8. Select Edit --> Copy from the main menu.
9. Navigate to the new RS014 folder we created above.
10. Right-click within the folder.
11. Select Paste from the context menu that appears, as depicted in Illustration 4.
The copied files (there should be eleven) appear as shown in Illustration 5.
Our next step will be to upload the samples into Report Manager, where we can review them and see what information they can deliver to the information consumers. The first step of this process will be to establish a Data Source Connection, as we learned in my Database Journal article Managing Reporting Services: Data Connections and Uploads. We will use Report Manager, versus the Report Designer interface, for this purpose, but keep in mind that the upload / publication process can also be managed from within Report Designer.