MSSQL Server Reporting Services: Black Belt Administration: "Governor" Capabilities: Report Execution Timeout - Page 3
March 21, 2005
Create a Clone Report and Data Source for the Practice Exercise
Let's first copy an existing report to provide a disposable work environment, for part of our practice session. When we installed Reporting Services, the sample report files were copied to the PC, with the default installation point being the Samples folder within the Reporting Services program folder. A common example of this default path is as follows:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\ MSSQL\Reporting Services\Samples\Reports
1. Enter the folder that contains the sample reports.
2. Click the AdventureWorks.rds data source file to select it.
3. Hold the CTRL key while clicking the Product Line Sales.rdl file.
The intent here is to select both files simultaneously.
4. Right-click, with the two files selected.
5. Select Copy from the context menu that appears, as shown in Illustration 1.
6. Navigate to a convenient location to place the copy.
7. Right-click within the folder chosen.
8. Select Paste from the context menu that appears, as depicted in Illustration 2.
The Product Line Sales.rdl and the AdventureWorks.rds files appear in the new location.
9. Right-click Product Line Sales.rdl in the new location.
10. Select Rename from the context menu that appears, as shown in Illustration 3.
11. Rename the file as follows:
We now have a disposable report that we can use in Report Designer without fear of damaging a potentially useful sample, as well as a report data source. Next, we will create a project in Visual Studio, from which to work, and then return to the report as a step in our practice session with the Report Execution Timeout settings.