MSSQL Server Reporting Services: Black Belt Components: Ad Hoc Sorting with Parameters - Page 4
April 19, 2005
Create a Copy of the Territory Sales Drilldown Report
As we have noted, we will be working with a copy of the Territory Sales Drilldown report, to keep the original sample intact for easy access and use at another time.
1. Right-click the Reports folder underneath the newly created shared data source, in the Solution Explorer.
2. Select Add --> Add Existing Item from the cascading context menus that appear, as depicted in Illustration 12.
The Add Existing Item - RS016 dialog appears.
When we installed Reporting Services, the default installation point for the sample report files was the Samples folder within the Reporting Services program folder. A common example of this default path is as follows:
C:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Reporting Services\Samples\Reports
3. Using the Add Existing Item - RS016 dialog, navigate to the location of the sample reports in your own environment.
An example of the Add Existing Item - RS016 dialog, having been pointed to the Samples folder (which contains the Territory Sales Drilldown report we seek), appears as shown in Illustration 13.
4. Right-click the Territory Sales Drilldown report inside the dialog.
5. Select Copy from the context menu that appears, as depicted in Illustration 14.
5. Within the Add Existing Item - RS016 dialog, navigate to the RS016 folder we created earlier.
6. Right-click somewhere in the white space inside the RS016 folder, within the dialog.
7. Select Paste from the context menu that appears, as shown in Illustration 15.
A copy of the Territory Sales Drilldown report appears within the dialog.
8. Right-click the new file.
9. Select Rename from the context menu that appears.
10. Type the following name in place of the highlighted existing name:
AdHocSort_Territory Sales Drilldown.rdl
NOTE: Be sure to include the .rdl extension in the file name.
The renamed copy of the Territory Sales Drilldown sample report appears as depicted in Illustration 16.
11. Select the new file by clicking it, if necessary.
12. Click Open on the dialog box to add the new report to report project RS016.
AdHocSort_Territory Sales Drilldown.rdl appears in the Reports folder, within the RS016 project tree in the Solution Explorer, as shown in Illustration 17.
Having created a copy of the functional report, we are now ready to make the enhancements requested by the AdventureWorks information consumers.