Introduction to MSSQL Server Analysis Services: Process Analysis Services Cubes with DTS - Page 3
May 9, 2005
Considerations and Comments
For purposes of this exercise, we will be working with the Warehouse cube, within the FoodMart 2000 MSAS database. The Warehouse cube, as most of us are aware, is a member of a group of working samples that accompanies a typical installation of Analysis Services. If the samples are not installed in, or have been removed from, your environment, they can be obtained from the installation CD, from the Analysis Services section of the Microsoft website, and perhaps elsewhere.
Setting up the Analysis Services Processing Task within a DTS Package
Let's get started by setting up the Analysis Services Processing task to process the Warehouse cube. Once we have constructed the task, and then created a DTS package to contain it, we will be ready to execute the task and to verify its operation.
1. Click Start.
2. Navigate to the Microsoft MSSQL Server Enterprise Manager shortcut in the Programs group, as appropriate.
The equivalent on my PC appears as shown in Illustration 1.
Click for larger image
3. Select Enterprise Manager from the menu.
The Enterprise Manager console opens.
4. Expand Microsoft SQL Servers by clicking the "+" sign to its immediate left, as required.
5. Expand SQL Server Group.
6. Expand the server upon which to create the DTS package that will house the Analysis Services Processing task. (I am choosing the Local server in my example.)
The Enterprise Manager console appears similar to that depicted in Illustration 2.
7. Right-click the Data Transformation Services folder.
8. Select New Package from the context menu that appears, as shown in Illustration 3.
DTS Designer opens, presenting a blank design sheet.
9. From the Task toolbar, click / drag the Analysis Services Processing task onto the design sheet. The icon appears circled in Illustration 4.
When we drop the icon onto the design sheet, the Analysis Services Processing task dialog appears, as partially depicted in Illustration 5.
10. Leaving the Name box at default, replace the wording in the Description box of the Analysis Services Processing task with the following:
ANSYS035_Analysis Services Processing Task
11. Click the Local server checkbox in the lower left corner of the dialog to "filter" the Select the object to process pane to the local server only.
NOTE: If you chose a server other than the Local server for this exercise, simply substitute the appropriate server in the steps that follow.
Any other servers we saw, upon initial entry to the dialog, disappear, leaving the Select the object to process pane containing only the local server.
12. Click the "+" sign to the left of the Local server to expand the server tree.
The Analysis Services Processing task dialog appears, at this stage in our procedure, as shown in Illustration 6.
13. Click Foodmart 2000 Analysis Services database to highlight it.