MSSQL Server Reporting Services : Mastering OLAP Reporting: Ad Hoc TopCount and BottomCount Parameters - Page 6
May 16, 2005
Enhancing the Foodmart Sales Report to Include Ad Hoc Sorting
In this section, we will copy the existing Foodmart Sales report, and then open it in Reporting Services' Report Designer, where we will begin the modifications that the information consumers have requested.
Create a Copy of the Foodmart Sales Report
As we have noted, we will be working with a copy of the Foodmart Sales report, to keep the original sample intact for easy access and use at another time.
1. Right-click the Reports folder underneath the newly created shared data source, in the Solution Explorer.
2. Select Add -> Add Existing Item from the cascading context menus that appear, as depicted in Illustration 20.
Click for larger image
The Add Existing Item - RS017 dialog appears.
When we installed Reporting Services, the default installation point for the sample report files was the Samples folder within the Reporting Services program folder. A common example of this default path is as follows:
C:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Reporting Services\Samples\Reports
3. Using the Add Existing Item - RS017 dialog, navigate to the location of the sample reports in your own environment.
An example of the Add Existing Item - RS017 dialog, having been pointed to the Samples folder (which contains the Foodmart Sales report we seek), appears as partially shown in Illustration 21.
4. Right-click the Foodmart Sales report inside the dialog.
5. Select Copy from the context menu that appears, as depicted in Illustration 22.
6. Within the Add Existing Item - RS017 dialog, navigate to the RS017 folder we created earlier, when we added the new RS017 project.
7. Right-click somewhere in the white space inside the RS017 folder, within the dialog.
8. Select Paste from the context menu that appears, as shown in Illustration 23.
A copy of the Foodmart Sales report appears within the dialog.
9. Right-click the new file.
10. Select Rename from the context menu that appears.
11. Type the following name in place of the highlighted existing name:
Ad Hoc TopBottomFoodmart Sales.rdl
NOTE: Be sure to include the .rdl extension in the file name.
The renamed copy of the Foodmart Sales sample report appears as depicted in Illustration 24.
12. Select the new file by clicking it, if necessary.
13. Click Open on the dialog box to add the new report to report project RS017.
AdHoc_TopBottomFoodmart Sales.rdl appears in the Reports folder, within the RS017 project tree in the Solution Explorer, as shown in Illustration 25.
Having created a copy of the functional report, we are now ready to make the enhancements requested by the FoodMart Marketing Department information consumers.