MSSQL Server Reporting Services: Mastering OLAP Reporting: Percent of Total - Chart Presentation Nuances - Page 3
July 18, 2005
Return to the Reporting Services Project
To begin, we will open the Reporting Services project, from Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003, that we created in our last session.
1. Click Start.
2. Navigate to the Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003 shortcut in the Programs group, as appropriate.
The equivalent on my PC appears as shown in Illustration 1.
Click for larger image
The development environment opens at the Start page.
3. Select File --> Open from the main menu.
4. Click Project from the cascading menu, as depicted in Illustration 2.
The Open Project dialog appears.
5. Navigate to a location where we placed RS018.rptproj in our last article, as shown in Illustration 3.
6. Click RS018.rptproj within the dialog, to select it.
7. Click Open.
RS018.rptproj opens in the development environment, defaulting to the Layout view of the only report, Multi-Layer_Calculations.rdl, which we created in our previous lesson.
8. Close the Multi-Layer_Calculations report, if it is open.
We will create a copy of this report, which will allow us to leverage the existing dataset, and to save preparation time. Making a copy for our practice session will also allow us to keep our original sample intact for other prospective uses.
Copy the Previous Report to Provide a Practice Platform
In this section, we will copy the existing RS018 report, and then open it in the Report Designer, where we will add the pie chart data region. Having the chart side-by-side with the matrix region will also provide us a quick means of verifying the accuracy of our results.
1. Right-click the Reports folder within the Solution Explorer.
2. Select Add --> Add Existing Item from the cascading context menus that appear, as shown in Illustration 4.
The Add Existing Item - RS018 dialog appears.
3. Navigate to the location of the Multi-Layer_Calculations.rdl report that we created in our last article.
4. Right-click Multi-Layer_Calculations.rdl inside the dialog.
5. Select Copy from the context menu that appears, as depicted in Illustration 5.
6. Right-click somewhere in the white space inside the RS018 folder, within the dialog.
7. Select Paste from the context menu that appears, as shown in Illustration 6.
A copy of the Multi-Layer_Calculations report appears within the dialog.
8. Right-click the new file.
9. Select Rename from the context menu that appears.
10. Type the following name in place of the highlighted existing name:
NOTE: Be sure to include the .rdl extension in the file name.
The renamed copy of the Multi-Layer_Calculations report appears just below it, as depicted in Illustration 7.
11. Select the new file by clicking it, if necessary.
12. Click Open on the dialog box to add the new report to report project RS018.
PercTotalPie.rdl appears in the Reports folder, within the RS018 project tree in the Solution Explorer, as shown in Illustration 8.
Having created a copy of the functional report, we are now ready to work with the pie chart in meeting the expressed requirements of the information consumers.