MSSQL Server Reporting Services: Mastering OLAP Reporting: Extending Conditional Formatting: SWITCH and Drilldown Defaults - Page 4
August 15, 2005
Create a Copy of the Foodmart Sales Report
As we have noted, we will be working with a copy of the Foodmart Sales report, to keep the original sample intact for easy access and use at another time.
1. Right-click the Reports folder underneath the Shared Data Sources folder, in the Solution Explorer.
2. Select Add --> Add Existing Item from the cascading context menus that appear, as depicted in Illustration 6.
Click for larger image
The Add Existing Item - RS020 dialog appears.
When we installed Reporting Services, the default installation point for the sample report files was the Samples folder within the Reporting Services program folder. A common example of this default path is as follows:
C:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Reporting Services\Samples\Reports
3. Using the Add Existing Item - RS020 dialog, navigate to the location of the sample reports in your own environment.
An example of the Add Existing Item - RS020 dialog, having been pointed to the sample Reports folder (which contains the Foodmart Sales report we seek), appears as partially shown in Illustration 7.
4. Right-click the Foodmart Sales report inside the dialog.
5. Select Copy from the context menu that appears, as depicted in Illustration 8.
6. Within the Add Existing Item - RS020 dialog, navigate to the RS020 folder we created earlier, when we added the new RS020 project.
7. Right-click somewhere in the white space inside the RS020 folder, within the dialog.
8. Select Paste from the context menu that appears, as shown in Illustration 9.
A copy of the Foodmart Sales report appears within the dialog.
9. Right-click the new file.
10. Select Rename from the context menu that appears.
11. Type the following name in place of the highlighted existing name:
NOTE: Be sure to include the .rdl extension in the file name.
The renamed copy of the Foodmart Sales sample report appears as depicted in Illustration 10.
12. Click the white space to the right of the file name, to accept the new name we have assigned.
13. Re-select the new file by clicking it.
14. Click Open on the dialog box to add the new report to report project RS020.
SWITCH_CondFormat.rdl appears in the Reports folder, within the RS020 project tree in the Solution Explorer, as shown in Illustration 11.