MSSQL Server Reporting Services : Mastering OLAP Reporting: Drilling Through Using MDX - Page 4
October 20, 2005
Create a Copy of the Foodmart Sales Report
As we have noted, we will be working with a copy of the Foodmart Sales report, to keep the original sample intact for easy access and use at another time.
1. Right-click the Reports folder underneath the Shared Data Sources folder, in the Solution Explorer.
2. Select Add --> Add Existing Item from the cascading context menus that appear, as depicted in Illustration 7.
The Add Existing Item RS022_MDX_DRILLTHROUGH dialog appears.
When we installed Reporting Services, the default installation point for the sample report files was the Samples folder within the Reporting Services program folder. A common example of this default path is as follows:
C:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Reporting Services\Samples\Reports
3. Using the Add Existing Item - RS022_MDX_DRILLTHROUGH dialog, navigate to the location of the sample reports in your own environment.
An example of the Add Existing Item - RS022_MDX_DRILLTHROUGH dialog, having been pointed to the sample Reports folder (which contains the Foodmart Sales report we seek), appears as partially shown in Illustration 8.
4. Right-click the Foodmart Sales report inside the dialog.
5. Select Copy from the context menu that appears, as depicted in Illustration 9.
6. Within the Add Existing Item - RS022_MDX_DRILLTHROUGH dialog, navigate to the RS022_MDX_DRILLTHROUGH folder we created earlier, when we added the new RS022_MDX_DRILLTHROUGH project.
7. Right-click somewhere in the white space inside the RS022_MDX_DRILLTHROUGH folder, within the dialog.
8. Select Paste from the context menu that appears, as shown in Illustration 10.
A copy of the Foodmart Sales report appears within the dialog.
9. Right-click the new file.
10. Select Rename from the context menu that appears.
11. Type the following name in place of the highlighted existing name:
NOTE: Be sure to include the .rdl extension in the file name.
The renamed copy of the Foodmart Sales sample report appears as depicted in Illustration 11.
12. Click the white space to the right of the file name, to accept the new name we have assigned.
13. Re-select the new file by clicking it.
14. Click Open on the dialog box to add the new report to report project RS022_MDX_DRILLTHROUGH.
RS022_MDX_DRILLTHROUGH.rdl appears in the Reports folder, within the RS022_MDX_DRILLTHROUGH project tree in the Solution Explorer, as shown in Illustration 12.
15. From the main menu in the design environment, select File ---> Save All, as depicted in Illustration 13.
Leaving the Report Designer open, we will now briefly visit Analysis Services to enable drillthrough for the Sales sample cube, which we will then target with an MDX query in our practice exercise.