MSSQL Server Reporting Services: Mastering OLAP Reporting: Multiple Value Selection in a Parameter Picklist - Page 4
November 14, 2005
Create a Copy of the Foodmart Sales Report
As we have noted, we will begin with a copy of the Reporting Services 2000 Foodmart Sales report, which we will upgrade to Reporting Services 2005 for purposes of our practice exercise.
1. Right-click the Reports folder underneath the Shared Data Sources folder, in the Solution Explorer.
2. Select Add --> Existing Item ... from the cascading context menus that appear, as depicted in Illustration 5.
Click for larger image
The Add Existing Item RS022_MULTI_VAL_PARAM dialog appears.
When we installed Reporting Services 2000, the default installation point for the sample report files was the Samples folder within the Reporting Services program folder. A common example of this default path is as follows:
C:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\ Reporting Services\Samples\Reports
3. Using the Add Existing Item - RS022_MULTI_VAL_PARAM dialog, navigate to the location of the sample reports in your own environment.
An example of the Add Existing Item - RS022_MULTI_VAL_PARAM dialog, having been pointed to the sample Reports folder (which contains the Foodmart Sales report we seek), appears as partially shown in Illustration 6.
Click for larger image
4. Right-click the Foodmart Sales report inside the dialog.
5. Select Copy from the context menu that appears, as depicted in Illustration 7.
6. Within the Add Existing Item - RS022_MULTI_VAL_PARAM dialog, navigate to the RS022_MULTI_VAL_PARAM folder we created earlier, when we added the new RS022_MULTI_VAL_PARAM project.
7. Right-click somewhere in the white space inside the RS022_MULTI_VAL_PARAM folder, within the dialog.
8. Select Paste from the context menu that appears, as shown in Illustration 8.
A copy of the Foodmart Sales report appears within the dialog.
9. Right-click the new file.
10. Select Rename from the context menu that appears.
11. Type the following name in place of the highlighted existing name:
NOTE: Be sure to include the .rdl extension in the file name.
The renamed copy of the Foodmart Sales sample report appears as depicted in Illustration 9.
12. Click the white space to the right of the file name, to accept the new name we have assigned.
13. Re-select the new file by clicking it.
14. Click Add on the dialog box to add the new report to report project RS022_MULTI_VAL_PARAM.
RS022_MULTI_VAL_PARAM.rdl appears in the Reports folder, within the RS022_MULTI_VAL_PARAM project tree in the Solution Explorer, as shown in Illustration 10.
15. From the main menu in the design environment, select File ---> Save All, as depicted in Illustration 11.
We now have a Reporting Services 2000 report file within our Reporting Services 2005 Project. Our next steps will upgrade the report, allowing us to leverage the new features available within Reporting Services 2005.