MSSQL Server Reporting Services: Mastering OLAP Reporting: Multiple Value Selection in a Parameter Picklist - Page 6
November 14, 2005
Procedure: Add Support for Multiple Value Selection in a Report Parameter
The procedure for creating a Report Parameter in Reporting Services 2005 is similar to doing so in Reporting Services 2000. Many of the following steps will be familiar to most of us. Our specific focus in this section will be the addition of support for multiple value selection in the parameter picklist, which involves additional settings in the Report Parameter dialog, as well as a change in operators, within our sample report, at the matrix filter.
Create a New Report Parameter with Multiple Value Selection Support
1. Select Report --> Report Parameters from the main menu atop the Report Designer, as we did earlier.
The empty Report Parameters dialog appears.
2. Click Add.
3. Type the following into the Name box atop the dialog:
4. Type the following into the Prompt box :
5. Click (to insert a check mark) the checkbox to the immediate left of the Multi-value, one of five checkboxes appearing under the Prompt box.
This checkbox, a new option with Reporting Services 2005, enables the support of multiple selections in the picklist for our new Report Parameter.
6. Ensure that the Allow null value and Allow blank value check boxes are cleared.
7. Click the From query radio button in the Available values section of the dialog.
It is here that we align the ProductList Dataset, designed to populate the picklist that appears to the information consumers at runtime. Clicking the From query radio button enables the settings to its right, where we select the following:
8. Select ProductList in the Dataset selector.
9. Select ID_Product___Product_Family___MEMBER_CAPTION_ in the Value field selector.
10. Select ID_Product___Product_Family___MEMBER_CAPTION_ in the Label field selector.
11. Click the From query radio button in the Default values section of the dialog.
Once again, we note that selectors are enabled, this time a selector for Dataset and a selector for Value field, which serve similar functions with regard to the default parameter values.
12. Select ProductList in the Dataset selector, as before.
13. Select ID_Product___Product_Family___MEMBER_CAPTION_in the Value field selector, again as before.
The Report Parameters dialog appears, with our input, as depicted in Illustration 20.
14. Click OK to accept our input and to close the Report Parameters dialog.
The Report Parameters dialog closes, and we are returned to the Layout view of the report, once again.