Mastering OLAP Reporting: Display a Dataset Field in a Report Page Header - Page 3
January 16, 2006
Create a Copy of the Sales Reason Comparisons Report
As we have noted, we will begin with a copy of the Reporting Services 2005 Sales Reason Comparisons report, which we will use for our practice exercise in meeting the business requirements of the Adventure Works developers / authors.
1. Right-click the Reports folder underneath the Shared Data Sources folder, in the Solution Explorer.
2. Select Add --> Existing Item ... from the cascading context menus that appear, as shown in Illustration 12.
The Add Existing Item AdventureWorks Sample Reports dialog appears.
3. Navigate to the actual location of the sample reports (we provided the default path earlier), if the dialog has not defaulted thereto already.
An example of the Add Existing Item AdventureWorks Sample Reports dialog, having been pointed to the sample Reports folder (which contains the Sales Reason Comparisons report file we seek), appears as partially shown in Illustration 13.
Click for larger image
4. Right-click the Sales Reason Comparisons report inside the dialog.
5. Select Copy from the context menu that appears, as depicted in Illustration 14.
6. Right-click somewhere in the white space inside the Add Existing Item AdventureWorks Sample Reports dialog.
7. Select Paste from the context menu that appears, as shown in Illustration 15.
A copy of the Sales Reason Comparisons report appears within the dialog.
8. Right-click the new file.
9. Select Rename from the context menu that appears.
10. Type the following name in place of the highlighted existing name:
RS025_Dataset Field in Header.rdl
NOTE: Be sure to include the .rdl extension in the file name.
The renamed copy of the Sales Reason Comparisons sample report appears as depicted in Illustration 16.
11. Click the white space to the right of the file name, to accept the new name we have assigned.
12. Re-select the new file by clicking it.
13. Click Add on the dialog box to add the new report to report project AdventureWorks Sample Reports.
RS025_Dataset Field in Header.rdl appears in the Reports folder, within the AdventureWorks Sample Reports project tree in the Solution Explorer, as shown in Illustration 17.
14. From the main menu in the design environment, select File ---> Save All, as depicted in Illustration 18.
We now have a clone report file within our Reporting Services 2005 Project, with which we can proceed in the next section to make alterations per the specification we have received, including the display of a Dataset field within a Page Header we add to the report.