Process Analysis Services Objects with Integration Services - Page 4
February 13, 2006
Add an Analysis Services Connection Manager to the Integration Services Package
An Analysis Services Connection Manager enables our package to connect to the server that runs the Analysis Services database upon which (or upon whose member objects) we wish to use our Analysis Services Processing task. (We can also use the Connection Manager to connect to an Analysis Services project that provides "BI-development-Studio-only" access to cube and dimension data, to establish connections between the package and the server / database to which we later deploy the package).
At run time, the Connection Manager is resolved as an Analysis Services connection. As part of the creation process, Integration Services sets the properties (one of which, ConnectionManagerType, is set to MSOLAP90), adding it to the package's Connections collection. We will add and configure the Analysis Services Connection Manager by taking the following steps.
1. Right-click a point within the Connection Managers pane, located below the Control Flow tab in the SSIS Designer.
2. Select New Analysis Services Connection ... from the context menu that appears, as shown in Illustration 12.
Click for larger image
3. Right-click a point within the Connection Managers pane, located below the Control Flow tab in the SSIS Designer.
4. Click the Edit button on the Add Analysis Services Connection Manager dialog that immediately appears, as depicted in Illustration 13.
Click for larger image
The Connection Manager dialog appears next.
5. In the Server or file name box, enter the server (or server / instance) appropriate to your environment.
6. Select the appropriate radio button in the Log on to the server section of the Connection Manager dialog.
7. In the Initial catalog selector, select Adventure Works DW.
8. Click the Test Connection button to ascertain connectivity.
A Connection Manager message box appears, indicating that the test connection has succeeded, as shown in Illustration 14.
9. Click OK to dismiss the message box, and to return to the Connection Manager dialog.
The Connection Manager dialog appears, with our input, similar to that depicted in Illustration 15.
10. Click OK to accept settings and close the dialog.
We return to the Add Analysis Services Connection Manager dialog, which appears similar to that shown in Illustration 16.
11. Click OK to accept and dismiss the Add Analysis Services Connection Manager dialog.
We arrive once more at the Integration Services Designer, where we see the new Connection Manager within the Connection Managers pane as depicted in Illustration 17.
12. Select File --> Save All from the main menu, as depicted in Illustration 18, to save our work to this point.
We have now established and tested the Connection Manager we have added to the Analysis Services package. We will begin configuration of the Analysis Services Processing task we have added to the package in the next section.