Mastering Enterprise BI: Introduction to Key Performance Indicators - Page 3
May 8, 2006
Access the Analysis Services Database in Business Intelligence Development Studio
We will access the new Analysis Services database we have created within the Business Intelligence Development Studio, where we can best accomplish design and development work in general. While we certainly might begin within the BI Development Studio by creating an Analysis Services project, building all the components from scratch, we will take a few shortcuts here to more rapidly get to the subject matter of our session, KPIs.
1. Click the Start button, once again.
2. Select Microsoft SQL Server 2005 within the Program group of the menu.
3. Click SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio, as depicted in Illustration 10.
The Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 development environment opens, beginning with the Start page, as shown in Illustration 11.
4. Close the Start Page tab.
5. Select File -> Open on the Visual Studio main menu.
6. Select Analysis Services Database from the cascading menu, as depicted in Illustration 12.
The Connect to Database dialog appears.
7. Ensure that the radio button to the immediate left of Connect to existing database is selected.
8. Type the name of the server / server with instance into the Server box. (Mine is MOTHER1\MSSQL2K5 as seen in various illustrations throughout my articles)
9. Select the ANSYS047 Adventure Works DW database in the Database selector underneath the Server box.
10. Click the Browse button to the right of the box labeled New Solution at the bottom of the Connect to Database dialog.
The Browse for directory ... dialog opens.
11. Navigate to a convenient place to store the objects created within our solution.
12. Within the Browse for directory ... dialog, once it rests at a convenient place, right-click the white space within the dialog.
13. Select New from the context menu that appears.
14. Select Folder from the cascading menu that branches off the New selection, as shown in Illustration 13.
A folder, with edit-ready title New Folder, appears.
15. Name the new folder as follows:
The new folder appears as depicted in Illustration 14.
16. With the folder selected, click the Open button.
The Browse for directory ... dialog closes, and we return to the Connect to Database dialog, which appears, with our input, similar to that shown in Illustration 15.
17. Click OK to accept our input, and to connect to the Analysis Services database.
The Connect to Database dialog closes, and we see our clone Analysis Services database open, complete with all member objects, in Solution Explorer (which appears, by default, in the upper right corner of the BI Development Studio), as partially depicted in Illustration 16.
We are now positioned to get some practice with defining a KPI within a cube. In the next section, we will work within the Adventure Works cube to create a calculated measure, upon which we will partially base our KPI.