BlackBelt Administration: Linked Reports in Report Manager - Page 3
June 19, 2006
Create a Copy of the Sales Reason Comparisons Report
As we have noted, we will begin with a copy of the Reporting Services 2005 Sales Reason Comparisons OLAP report, which we will use for our practice exercise in meeting the business requirements of the Adventure Works developers / authors.
1. Right-click the Reports folder underneath the Shared Data Sources folder, in the Solution Explorer.
2. Select Add -> Existing Item ... from the cascading context menus that appear, as shown in Illustration 11.
The Add Existing Item AdventureWorks Sample Reports dialog appears.
3. Navigate to the actual location of the sample reports (we provided the default path earlier), if the dialog has not defaulted thereto already.
An example of the Add Existing Item AdventureWorks Sample Reports dialog, having been pointed to the sample Reports folder (which contains the Sales Reason Comparisons report file we seek), appears as partially shown in Illustration 12.
4. Right-click the Sales Reason Comparisons report inside the dialog.
5. Select Copy from the context menu that appears, as depicted in Illustration 13.
6. Right-click somewhere in the white space inside the Add Existing Item AdventureWorks Sample Reports dialog.
7. Select Paste from the context menu that appears, as shown in Illustration 14.
A copy of the Sales Reason Comparisons report appears within the dialog.
8. Right-click the new file.
9. Select Rename from the context menu that appears.
10. Type the following name in place of the highlighted existing name:
NOTE: Be sure to include the .rdl extension in the file name.
The renamed copy of the Sales Reason Comparisons sample report appears as depicted in Illustration 15.
11. Click the white space to the right of the file name, to accept the new name we have assigned.
12. Re-select the new file by clicking it.
13. Click Add on the dialog box to add the new report to report project AdventureWorks Sample Reports.
RS030_Linked Report.rdl appears in the Reports folder, within the AdventureWorks Sample Reports project tree in the Solution Explorer, as shown in Illustration 16.
14. Right-click the new RS030_Linked Report report within the Solution Explorer.
15. Select Open from the context menu that appears, as depicted in Illustration 17.
RS030_Linked Report.rdl opens in Layout view, and appears as shown in Illustration 18.
Let's preview the report, so as to get a feel for its general operation prior to performing our enhancements.
16. Click the Preview tab to execute RS030_Linked Report.rdl.
Execution begins (the report initially executes with the default parameter setting).
The report executes, and appears as depicted in Illustration 19.
We now have a basic OLAP report file within our Reporting Services 2005 Project. We need to make an alteration to the report, the addition of a report parameter for Sales Territory Group, so as to afford ourselves the ability to customize the Linked Reports within Report Manager in a way that allows each Sales Territory Group's member consumers to see only the data relating to their own Sales Territory Group. We will accomplish this modification within the next section.