BlackBelt Authoring: Conditional Drillthrough to Multiple Reports - Page 5
September 18, 2006
Create a Clone of the Sales Reason Comparison Report as One of Our Target Reports
As we mentioned earlier, we will base one of our two target reports upon a prefabricated sample report, a member of the sample set that can be installed along with Reporting Services 2005. We will first create a copy of the Sales Reason Comparison OLAP report, and then "prune it" a bit to meet our immediate needs.
1. Right-click the Reports folder, once again, within in the Solution Explorer.
2. Select Add -> Existing Item ... as we did earlier.
The Add Existing Item AdventureWorks Sample Reports dialog appears.
3. Navigate to the actual location of the sample reports (we provided the default path earlier), if the dialog has not defaulted thereto already.
An example of the Add Existing Item AdventureWorks Sample Reports dialog, having been pointed to the sample Reports folder (which contains the Sales Reason Comparisons report file we seek), appears as partially depicted in Illustration 34.
4. Right-click the Sales Reason Comparisons report inside the dialog.
5. Select Copy from the context menu that appears, as shown in Illustration 35.
6. Right-click somewhere in the white space inside the Add Existing Item AdventureWorks Sample Reports dialog.
7. Select Paste from the context menu that appears, as depicted in Illustration 36.
A copy of the Sales Reason Comparisons report appears within the dialog.
8. Right-click the new file.
9. Select Rename from the context menu that appears.
10. Type the following name in place of the highlighted existing name:
RS033_TARGET_Country_Cust Sales Info.rdl
The renamed copy of the Sales Reason Comparisons sample report appears as shown in Illustration 37.
11. Click the white space to the right of the file name, to accept the new name we have assigned.
12. Re-select the new file by clicking it.
13. Click Add on the dialog box to add the new report to report project AdventureWorks Sample Reports.
RS033_LAUNCH_Country_Cust Sales Info appears in the Reports folder, within the AdventureWorks Sample Reports project tree in the Solution Explorer, as depicted in Illustration 38.
14. Right-click the new RS033_LAUNCH_Country_Cust Sales report within the Solution Explorer.
15. Select Open from the context menu that appears, as shown in Illustration 39.
RS033_LAUNCH_Country_Cust Sales.rdl opens in Layout view, and appears as depicted in Illustration 40.
Lets preview the report, so as to ensure that all is in working order before we begin our modifications to simplify it for our later use.
16. Click the Preview tab to execute the RS033_LAUNCH_Country_Cust Sales Info report.
Execution begins (the report initially executes with the default parameter setting), and the report appears, as shown in Illustration 41.
Next, well simplify the report to better suit it as a basic target report for our immediate needs. In essence, we will remove all except the primary dataset, as well as the parameters that currently exist in the report. Moreover, we will add new parameters via the Filter pane.
17. Click the Data tab to access the reports datasets.
18. Click the dropdown arrow on the right side of the Dataset selector, in the upper left corner of the Data tab.
19. Click the ProductList dataset (the lower of the two) within the selector, as depicted in Illustration 42.
The dataset opens.
20. Click the Delete Selected Dataset button, as shown in Illustration 43, to eliminate the dataset.
A Report Designer dialog appears, asking for confirmation of our wishes to delete the dataset.
21. Click OK to confirm intentions, and to dismiss the dialog, as depicted in Illustration 44.
The ProductList dataset disappears, as we are returned to the remaining ProductData dataset.
22. In the Filter pane, click the Dimension box of the sole entry row (currently containing Product), to select it.
23. Click the Delete button, as shown in Illustration 45, to eliminate the Filter pane entry.