Actions in Analysis Services 2005: The Drillthrough Action - Page 3
November 13, 2006
Inspect the Operation of the Drillthrough Action within the Cube Browser
Once the deployment of the project has been accomplished, we can fully leverage the Browser that the Cube Designer makes available to us. We will do so by taking the following steps:
1. Click the Browser tab to initialize the Browser for the Designer, as depicted in Illustration 5.
2. Once the Browser loads, click the Reconnect button, as shown in Illustration 6.
Let's set up a Browse scenario that presents many of the details that our client colleagues have specified that they want to see. The Browser is an extremely convenient place to accomplish this and other examinations. (More in-depth details about use of the Browser, a formidable tool within itself, are developed within other articles of this series, whose objectives, typically within "verification" procedures, are to examine or analyze values and other details within the cube.)
3. Within the cube tree appearing inside the Metadata pane, expand Measures.
4. Expand the Reseller Sales folder. as depicted in Illustration 7.
5. Drag the Reseller Sales Amount measure, followed by the Reseller Order Quantity measure, to the area of the Browser canvas marked Drop Totals or Detail Fields Here, as shown in Illustration 8.
6. Once again, inside the Metadata pane, expand the Employee folder.
7. Right-click the Employee attribute hierarchy that appears in the expanding tree.
8. Select Add to Row Area from the context menu that appears.
The expanded Employee attribute hierarchy appears within the browser's row axis, as depicted in Illustration 9.
9. Expand the Product folder within the Metadata pane.
10. Expand the Category attribute hierarchy that appears within the expanded Product folder.
11. Right-click the Category level that appears within the expanded Category attribute hierarchy.
12. Select Add to Row Area from the context menu that appears.
Category appears, collapsed, within the browser's row axis, to the immediate right of the expanded Employee members (for each of which drilldown has become enabled, as evidenced by the "plus" ("+") icon to its immediate left), as shown in Illustration 10.
13. Once again, inside the Metadata pane, expand the Ship Date folder.
14. Expand the Calendar folder that appears.
15. Expand the Ship Date.Calendar hierarchy that appears within the expanded Calendar folder, as depicted in Illustration 11.
16. Right-click the Calendar Quarter level that appears.
17. Select Add to Column Area from the context menu that appears.
Calendar Quarter appears, with the individual quarters appearing nested (and collapsed) underneath, within the browser's column axis.
18. Expand the Reseller folder within the Metadata pane.
19. Right-click the Reseller Type hierarchy that appears within the expanded Reseller folder.
20. Select Add to Column Area from the context menu that appears.
The Business Type level of the Reseller hierarchy appears, with the subordinate Reseller level to its immediate right within the browser's column axis. The two newly added levels appear, collapsed, to the immediate right of the expanded Calendar Quarter level, as shown in Illustration 12.
Having set up the axes as desired, we are ready to take a look at two primary Drillthrough Action considerations, availability and operation. First, let's examine when the Action is available, and when it is "disabled," to ascertain that its behavior is in accordance with our efforts to meet the client business requirements we have defined.
21. In the row axis of the browser, expand Employee member Jillian Carson by clicking the "+" sign to its immediate left.
The four Product Categories and a Total appear nested within the drilled down Employee.
22. In the Reseller Sales Amount column, to the immediate right of the Accessories Category for Jillian Carson, right click the cell containing the value.
The context menu that appears contains a single Action, named Reseller Details, as depicted in Illustration 13.
The fact that we do not see our new Drillthrough Action, Reseller Sales Information, provides instant confirmation that our Condition within the Action definition is effective. Recall that the purpose of the Condition was to render the Action unavailable for the Reseller measures as they relate to the Accessories Category; we imposed this Condition in response to the expressed business requirement of our client colleagues to "disable" the new Drillthrough Action for the Accessories Category. (The same results would be noted on the context menu for the other measure, Reseller Order Quantity, within the context of the Accessories Category.)