Actions in Analysis Services 2005: The URL Action - Page 3
December 11, 2006
Inspect the Operation of the URL Action within the Cube Browser
Once the deployment of the project has been accomplished, we can fully leverage the Browser that the Cube Designer makes available to us. We will do so by taking the following steps:
1. Click the Browser tab to initialize the Browser for the Designer, as depicted in Illustration 5.
2. Once the Browser loads, click the Reconnect button, as shown in Illustration 6.
Lets perform a Browse scenario to ascertain that our URL Action functions as expected. The Analysis Services Browser is an extremely convenient place to accomplish this and other examinations. (More in-depth details about use of the Browser, a formidable tool within itself, are developed within other articles of this series, in sections where the objectives, typically within verification procedures, are to examine or analyze values, and other details, within the cube.)
3. Within the cube tree appearing inside the Metadata pane, expand Measures.
4. Expand the Reseller Sales folder, as depicted in Illustration 7.
5. Drag the Reseller Sales Amount measure, followed by the Reseller Order Quantity measure, to the area of the Browser canvas marked Drop Totals or Detail Fields Here, as shown in Illustration 8.
6. Once again inside the Metadata pane, expand the Product folder.
7. Right-click the Product Categories hierarchy that appears in the expanding tree.
8. Select Add to Row Area from the context menu that appears, as depicted in Illustration 9.
9. Expand the Date folder in the Metadata pane,
10. Expand the Calendar folder that appears.
11. Expand the Date.Calendar hierarchy that appears within the expanded Calendar folder.
12. Right-click the Calendar Quarter level that appears.
13. Select Add to Column Area from the context menu that appears, as shown in Illustration 10.
The available Calendar Quarters appear within the browsers column axis.