Mastering OLAP Reports: Extend Reporting Services with Custom Code - Page 4
February 19, 2007
15. From our current position within the Data tab, select Report -> Report Parameters from the main menu of the design environment, as shown in Illustration 9.
16. Select the sole Report Parameter (ProductCategory) listed within the Parameters pane of the Report Parameters dialog, which appears next.
17. Click Remove to delete the ProductCategory Report Parameter, as depicted in Illustration 10.
18. Click OK, to accept our removal of the Report Parameter, and to dismiss the Report Parameters dialog.
This completes our modifications to the report from the Data tab. We will execute the query for the remaining dataset, once more, to ascertain that all is in working condition.
19. Click the Execute Query button (!) in the toolbar, as we did earlier, to run the query once again.
The Results pane is populated once more, and appears as partially shown in Illustration 11.
We will now transit to the Layout tab, where we will wrap up our preparatory modifications.
20. Click the Layout tab.
21. Click the left value textbox within the Matrix data region, which contains =Sum(Fields!Internet_Order_Quantity.Value), and whose Background Color is Lavender.
22. Press the Delete key on the keyboard, to delete the Internet Order Quantity measure (depicted in Illustration 12), along with the column containing it, from the matrix.
The column disappears, leaving two remaining columns.
23. Click the right value textbox remaining within the Matrix data region, which contains =Sum(Fields!Internet_Total_Product_Cost.Value), and whose Background Color is Transparent (and for which,therefore, the White background color appears).
24. Press the Delete key on the keyboard, to delete the Internet Total Product Cost calculated value, along with the column containing it, from the Matrix, as we did for the measure before.
The modified Matrix data region, now presenting a single measure column, appears on the Layout tab as shown in Illustration 13.
Next, we will modify grouping within the Matrix data region.
25. Click a point within the Matrix data region, to give it the focus, and to cause its gray handles to appear.
26. Right-click the upper left-hand corner of the Matrix data region (the gray square).
The gray column and row bars disappear, as a light, patterned outline forms around the Matrix data region, and the context menu appears.
27. Select Properties from the context menu, as depicted in Illustration 14.
The Matrix Properties dialog appears, defaulted to the General tab.
28. Click the Groups tab.
29. In the Columns section of the Groups tab (in the lower half of the tab), select the middle group, named matrix1_Sales_Territory_Group.
30. Click the Edit button, as shown in Illustration 15.
The Grouping and Sorting Properties dialog appears, defaulted to its General tab.
31. Atop the General tab, change the existing Name to the following:
32. Click the row containing the Expression value (currently the expression is Fields!Sales_Territory_Group.Value), within the Group on list, to enable the selector.
33. Select =Fields!Sales_Territory_Country.Value within the selector, as depicted in Illustration 16.
34. Click OK, to accept our modifications, and to close the Grouping and Sorting Properties dialog.
35. Click OK on the Groups tab, to close the Matrix Properties dialog.
36. Once again on the Layout tab, within the Matrix data region, right-click the textbox appearing above the Internet Sales column heading (it currently contains the expression =Fields!Sales_Territory_Group.Value).
37. Select Properties on the context menu that appears, as shown in Illustration 17.
38. On the Textbox Properties dialog that next appears (defaulted to the General tab), change the existing Name to the following:
39. Within the Value selector, modify the existing expression to the following:
Our modifications within the Textbox Properties dialog General tab, appear as depicted in Illustration 18.
40. Click OK to accept our modifications, and to close the Textbox Properties dialog.
We will execute the report, at this point, to ascertain that our modifications are complete, and that we have a working report for the practice session that follows.
41. Click the Preview tab.
The Report is being generated message briefly appears, and then the report displays. The modified report appears as shown in Illustration 19.
Our report is now ready for the practice session, which we will begin in the next section.