Mastering OLAP Reports: Parameterized Grouping - Page 7
September 23, 2008
Add a New Dataset to Support the Proposed Report Parameters
Now we will add a new dataset to support the proposed parameter picklists (the parameter selections that the information consumers see at report run time).
1. Click the Data tab, once again.
2. With the Dataset selector, select <New Dataset ...>, as shown in Illustration 28.
The Dataset dialog opens, defaulted to the Query tab.
3. Type the following into the Name box :
4. In the Data source box just below, select AdventureWorks (shared).
5. In the Query string box, type (or cut and paste) the following query:
SELECT 'Product Category' AS ParameterCaption, 'Category' AS ParameterValue UNION SELECT 'Product Subcategory' AS ParameterCaption, 'Subcategory' AS ParameterValue UNION SELECT 'Product' AS ParameterCaption, 'Product' AS ParameterValue
The Dataset dialog appears, with our input, as depicted in Illustration 29.
6. Click OK to accept our input and to dismiss the Dataset dialog.
We are taken to the Query pane, where our newly crafted query appears as shown in Illustration 30.
7. Click the Run (!) button to test the query.
Data is returned, and appears in the Data Pane as depicted in Illustration 31.
We will see how the ParameterCaption and ParameterValue fields are employed when we set up the two report parameters in the steps that follow.