Simple Pie Chart for Analysis Services Data - Page 3
January 30, 2009
Procedure: Create a Pie Chart within the Report
Add a Chart Control to the Report Canvas
At this point, we will position the Chart item from the Report Items listed within the Toolbox pane (the position of which is defaulted to the left of the Layout tab). Once the general control is placed on the report canvas, we will adjust it, setting properties as appropriate to meet the report specifications.
1. Select View from the main menu.
2. Select Toolbox from the menu, which appears as partially shown in Illustration 7, to place the Toolbox within easy reach (if it already appears, simply disregard this step).
The toolbox window should appear similar to that depicted in Illustration 8. Mine is pinned to the upper left corner of the design environment, where I find it most convenient. This is, of course, subject to your own choice. (I dock my Fields and Server Explorer panes in this area to maximize design real estate, as an aside.)
3. Click the Chart item (at the bottom of the Toolbox pane).
The cursor becomes a small chart icon in combination with crosshairs when held above the Layout canvas. This indicates that we can click to anchor the point, from which we wish to draw the box that the chart will inhabit.
4. Click on the canvas, below the existing matrix, approximately as shown in Illustration 9.
The chart item appears, in its generic manifestation, as depicted in Illustration 10.
NOTE: Should you accidentally place or drop the chart item into a position that is not satisfactory, you can simply move the item by clicking inside the chart item, then pointing to the now shaded border of the chart item, to drag it to a new location.
Clicking again on the border will also allow you to expand / contract the chart shape. (The nuances are easy to learn with a little practice.) Double-clicking the chart item will make the drop regions, seen above, appear.
5. Pass the cursor over the left border of the chart item, until it becomes a four-arrow icon.
6. Click and drag the chart item to the left side of the report canvas.
7. Click the canvas, outside the chart item.
The chart item is now in place, and we are ready to specify its simple Pie chart nature, as well as to populate it with the primary dataset that is already in place.