A More Advanced Pie Chart for Analysis Services Data - Page 3
March 2, 2009
Procedure: Create a Pie Chart within the Report
Add a Chart Control to the Report Canvas
At this point, we will select the Chart item from the Report Items listed within the Toolbox pane (the position of which is defaulted to the left of the Layout tab), for inclusion within our report. Once the general control is placed on the report canvas, we will adjust it, setting properties as appropriate to meet the report specifications.
1. Select View from the main menu.
2. Select Toolbox from the menu, which appears as partially shown in Illustration 7, to place the Toolbox within easy reach (if it already appears, simply disregard this step).
The toolbox window should appear similar to that depicted in Illustration 8. Mine is pinned to the left side of the design environment, where I find it most convenient. This is, of course, subject to your own choice. (I also dock my Fields and Server Explorer panes in this area to maximize design real estate, as an aside.)
3. Click the Chart item (at the bottom of the Toolbox pane).
The cursor becomes a small chart icon, in combination with crosshairs, when held above the report canvas. This indicates that we can click to anchor the point, from which we wish to define the space that the chart will inhabit.
4. Click on the canvas, below the existing matrix, approximately as shown in Illustration 9.
The chart item appears, in its generic manifestation, as depicted in Illustration 10.
NOTE: Should you accidentally place or drop the chart item into a position that is not satisfactory, you can simply move the item by clicking inside the chart item, then pointing to the then - shaded border of the chart item, to drag it to a new location.
Clicking again on the border will also allow you to expand / contract the chart shape. (The nuances are easy to learn with a little practice.) Double-clicking the chart item will make the drop regions, seen above, appear.
5. Click the canvas, outside the chart item.
6. Click the chart item, once again, to make it appear within a simple, bordered box.
7. Pass the cursor over the left border of the chart item, until it becomes a four-arrow icon.
8. Click and drag the chart item to the left side of the report canvas.
9. Click the chart item, once again, to make it appear within a simple, bordered box.
10. Pass the cursor over the right border, and over the small square that appears about midway down the right side, until the cursor becomes a simple double-headed arrow.
11. Click and drag the right border of the chart item, widening the chart (along with the underlying canvas) to approximately the 11 point on the ruler appearing atop the Layout tab.
The chart item is now in place, and we are ready to specify its Pie chart nature, as well as to populate it with the primary dataset that is already in place.