Attribute Discretization: Using the "Clusters" Method - Page 4
June 23, 2009
Process the Analysis Services Database to Update Structure for Our Discretization Settings
We will process the Analysis Services database within which we have been working, and then browse the Sick Leave Hours attribute members to confirm that we have provided preliminary answers to the clients stated requirements.
1. Right-click the Analysis Services project atop the tree in the Solution Explorer.
2. Select Process ... from the context menu that appears, as shown in Illustration 9.
3. Click Yes on the dialog telling us that the server content appears out of date, and asking if we would like to build and deploy the project first, which appears as depicted in Illustration 10.
Information updates on the server, and then the Process Database dialog appears, as shown in Illustration 11.
4. Click the Run button on the dialog.
The Process Progress viewer appears, and generates periodic status updates for various processing events. When processing is complete, we see a Process succeeded message appear in the Status bar in the lower part of the viewer, as depicted in Illustration 12.
5. Click the Close button on the Process Progress viewer to dismiss the viewer.
6. Click the Close button on the Process Database dialog to dismiss the dialog.
We are now ready to return to the Dimension Designer browser to examine the results of our handiwork.
Browse the Newly Discretized Attribute with the Dimension Browser
1. Click the Browser tab in the Dimension Designer.
2. Ensure that Sick Leave Hours remains selected in the Hierarchy selector atop the Browser tab.
3. Click the Reconnect button atop the tab, as shown in Illustration 13.
The browser details update, and (assuming the All Employees level remains expanded in the browser), we see ten groups appear, as depicted in Illustration 14.
We see the groups appear, as expected. Ten groups have been created, based upon the algorithm selected by the Clusters discretization method.