Procedure: Open the Sample Report Server Project
October 11, 2006
Use this procedure to locate and open the AdventureWorks Sample Reports project that ships with MSSQL Server Reporting Services 2005.
To begin, well launch the SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio.
1. Click Start.
2. Navigate to, and click, SQL Server Business Intelligence Development Studio, as appropriate.
The equivalent on my PC appears as depicted in Illustration 1.
We briefly see a splash page that lists the components installed on the PC, and then Visual Studio .NET 2005 opens at the Start page.
3. Close the Start page, if desired.
4. Select File -à Open from the main menu.
5. Click Project / Solution from the cascading menu, as shown in Illustration 2.
The Open Project dialog appears.
6. Browse to the AdventureWorks sample reports folder.
The reports are installed, by default (and, therefore, subject to be installed in a different location on our individual machines), in the following location.
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Samples\Reporting Services\Report Samples\AdventureWorks Sample Reports
7. Select the AdventureWorks Sample Reports.sln file within the sample reports folder, as depicted (circled) in Illustration 3.
8. Click Open.
The AdventureWorks Sample Reports solution opens, and we see the various objects within appear in Solution Explorer, as shown in Illustration 4.