Resources and guides from around the Web for database administrators
Use our handy database link guide to find the best and most useful database-focused sites from all over the Web.
SWYNK's New Home
Swynk has merged with several sister sites. Because the editorial mission of the publications was so similar, it made sense to merge them. You can still find all of your favorite articles at the following links:
- Networking News at Enterprise IT Planet
- Enterprise IT Planet's Networking resources bring you the latest in networking articles, tutorials, news and discussion for the IT professional.
- Database Journal
- Database Journal offers daily database news, articles, and tutorials for the database professional. All major DBs are covered, including Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, and Access.
- Serverwatch Tutorials
- Tutorials about servers and server-related issues published on ServerWatch about topics affecting network and server managers and administrators.
Guides and Resources
These are sites like ours, offering a mix of tutorials, news, forums, and reviews related to all database issues.
- From the TechTarget Network. Database-related news, tutorials and tips separated into database (Oracle, SQL Server, DB2) and topic (Basics, Languages, Administration) specific sections.
- NewsNow: Databases
- Aggregated collection of breaking database-related news from around the Web. Articles are linked from multiple sources, including PR Newswire, TechWeb, Freshmeat, etc.
- Google News: Database
- Google's News Search Engine with timely database-related news from around the Web.
- DevX: Database Development Zone
- How-to articles, scripts, user Q&A, and discussion forums broken down into four main DB categories: SQL, Oracle, DB2/Informix, and Others.
- Tek-Tips: DBMS Packages
- Community forums segmented by database. Includes the big name DBs as well as the not-so-big-name DBs.
- Experts Exchange: Databases
- Q&A forum in which experts accumulate points by answering user questions. The Database section breaks down into several sub-categories by database; i.e., Access, MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle, etc.
- Moreover Technologies: Database Industry News Headlines
- Aggregated collection of database-related news from around the Web. Articles primarily focus on Oracle-related news.
- SQL Monster
- Forums for MS SQL Server developers and DBAs - Offers forums and articles where you can share your knowledge of the SQL database, ask questions, or get advice.
Sites or sub-sites with an emphasis on one specific database. This section does not include those site pages provided specifically by the vendor (those are below).
- DB2 Magazine
- From CMP Media. Includes current issues and archived articles, reviews, and tutorials.
- IDUG: International DB2 User's Group
- IDUG home page. IDUG is an independent User's Group focused on all things DB2; the IDUG Web page features resource links, discussion forums, and archived issues of their tri-annual IDUG Solutions Journal.
- IIUG: International Informix User's Group
- Informix News, discussion lists, and Web resources.
- The Access Web
- FAQ page devoted to MS Access based development. Includes questions broken into very specific categories; such as bugs, tables, queries. date/time, etc.
- Utter Access Discussion Forum
- User Q&A focused primarily on Access developmental problems and issues. Includes a link resource listing, and also includes SQLServer/VB sections (though Access is the main focus).
- Professional Association for SQL Server (PASS)
- Independent User Group originally co-founded by Microsoft and Computer Associates. Events, news, forums, and chat.
- The latest in security issues specifically related to SQL Server implementations.
- Blog style site with contributed technical articles (with reader comments) and discussion forums. Multiple sections based on topics include OLAP, Administration, Database Design, etc.
- SQL Server Magazine
- Penton Media's online magazine with technical, how-to articles and news for SQL Server developers and administrators.
- Articles, FAQs, scripts, tips and test exams from Database Journal columnist Alexander Chigrik.
- SQL Server Central
- Scripts, articles, forums, and resource links from former Swynk.com columnists.
- SQL Server performance tuning and optimization articles from former Swynk.com columnists.
- SQL Server World Wide User's Group
- Boards, news, tools, and technical articles.
- FAQTs Knowledge Base: MySQL
- Community site where user submitted questions are listed in a quick Q&A format. Questions are separated into "Answered" and "Unanswered" lists, and multiple sub-folders are included with topics like "Language and Syntax," "Connectivity," etc.
- The Underground Oracle FAQs
- Huge collection of Oracle Q&A within a searchable and browseable directory (category/subcategory) format.
- International Oracle User's Group
- Community driven event information, news, discussion forums, and technical articles.
- ODTUG: Oracle Development Tools User Group
- User group focused on issues surrounding the use of the Oracle Internet Developer Suite.
- ITtoolbox Oracle KnowledgeBase
- Large, well categorized resource site and link repository offers technical articles, FAQs, scripts, reviews, and news.
- A well-designed site that offers an extensive collection of Oracle articles, news, scripts, tips, tools, and more.
From the Vendors
Sites provided by the actual vendors of the specific databases; i.e., product home pages and related resources provided by the vendor.
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Microsoft home page for all of their SQL Server versions. Patches, purchasing/comparison information, community forums, and technical resources with specific sub-topics such as "Administration" and "XML and Web Services." Includes tips from SQL Server Magazine. See also the SQL Server section of MSDN.
- Microsoft SQL Server Community is where you'll find answers in Microsoft newsgroups, locate non-Microsoft SQL Server communities, join in chats, and share best practices and tips with your peers.
- Oracle Corporation's main database products page. See also the Developer Suite and Application Server sections, as well as the developer oriented Oracle Technology Network (OTN).
- IBM DB2
- IBM's official DB2 products home page, with platform-specific Universal Database sections and links to related tools and events.
- developerWorks : DB2 is your starting place for technical information about the DB2 and Data Management development platform. You'll find articles, sample code, tutorials, tools, and more.
- IBM's home page for the Informix line of OLTP products.
- Home page for the open source database engine, MySQL.
- MS Access
- Microsoft's Access page includes purchasing/licensing information, downloads and support information, tutorials, and tips.
- SAP DB
- Home page for the free Enterprise Open Source Database.
- Berkeley DB
- Sleepycat Software homepage, creators/providers of the open-source embedded database system, Berkeley DB.
- Sybase Database Servers
- From the Sybase Inc. site. See also their main products page, and the Sybase Developer Network home page.
- Borland InterBase
- Borland's home page for its high-performance, cross-platform embeddable database.
- 4th Dimension (4D Inc)
- The 4D product line, including the WebSTAR Server Suite for Mac OS.
- FileMaker Pro
- News, purchase, and support information.
- Visual FoxPro
- Microsoft's Visual FoxPro home page, from the Microsoft Developer's Network. Tutorials, tools, and downloads (service packs).
- Home page for "the evolution of Btrieve," Pervasive.SQL.
- NetLib Encryptionizer
- Automatic whole-database encryption and column encryption for SQL Server, MSDE, and MS Access
Sites that will provide you with further database related Web resources; i.e., other link directories and listings.
- Google: Computer / Software / Databases
- Google's--a.k.a., the Open Directory's--database site listings. Substantial collection in many categories, primarily organized by DB.
- Yahoo: Computers and Internet > Software > Databases
- Yahoo directory entries. Smallish listing with few subcategories (and few entries in those categories). A larger listing can be found in the B2B > Software > Databases category, but those are focused entirely on vendor sites.
- Database Bookmark
- From Visual Basic Bookmark. With link subsections for Access, Informix, SQL Server, Oracle, others.
- Dr. Dobb's Journal: Database Development
- Site subsection with links to specific DB articles and further Web resources. Edited by Doug Reilly.