Resources and guides from around the Web for database administrators
Use our handy database link guide to find the best and most useful database-focused sites from all over the Web.
Guides and Resources
These are sites like ours, offering a mix of tutorials, news, forums, and reviews related to all database issues.
- NewsNow: Databases
- Aggregated collection of breaking database-related news from around the Web. Articles are linked from multiple sources, including PR Newswire, TechWeb, Freshmeat, etc.
- DevX: Database Development Zone
- How-to articles, scripts, user Q&A, and discussion forums broken down into four main DB categories: SQL, Oracle, DB2/Informix, and Others.
- Experts Exchange: Databases
- Q&A forum in which experts accumulate points by answering user questions. The Database section breaks down into several sub-categories by database; i.e., Access, MySQL, SQL Server, Oracle, etc.
- SQL Monster
- Forums for MS SQL Server developers and DBAs- Offers forums and articles where you can share your knowledge of the SQL database, ask questions, or get advice.
Sites or sub-sites with an emphasis on one specific database. This section does not include those site pages provided specifically by the vendor (those are below).
- IDUG: International DB2 User's Group
- IDUG home page. IDUG is an independent User's Group focused on all things DB2; the IDUG Web page features resource links, discussion forums, and archived issues of their tri-annual IDUG Solutions Journal.
- IIUG: International Informix User's Group
- Informix News, discussion lists, and Web resources.
- The Access Web
- FAQ page devoted to MS Access based development. Includes questions broken into very specific categories; such as bugs, tables, queries. date/time, etc.
- Utter Access Discussion Forum
- User Q&A focused primarily on Access developmental problems and issues. Includes a link resource listing, and also includes SQLServer/VB sections (though Access is the main focus).
- Professional Association for SQL Server (PASS)
- Independent User Group originally co-founded by Microsoft and Computer Associates. Events, news, forums, and chat.
- The latest in security issues specifically related to SQL Server implementations.
- Blog style site with contributed technical articles (with reader comments) and discussion forums. Multiple sections based on topics include OLAP, Administration, Database Design, etc.
- SQL Server Magazine
- Penton Media's online magazine with technical, how-to articles and news for SQL Server developers and administrators.
- SQL Server Central
- Scripts, articles, forums, and resource links from former Swynk.com columnists.
- SQL Server performance tuning and optimization articles from former Swynk.com columnists.
- SQL Server World Wide User's Group
- Boards, news, tools, and technical articles.
- The Underground Oracle FAQs
- Huge collection of Oracle Q&A within a searchable and browseable directory (category/subcategory) format.
- ODTUG: Oracle Development Tools User Group
- User group focused on issues surrounding the use of the Oracle Internet Developer Suite.
- ITtoolbox Oracle KnowledgeBase
- Large, well categorized resource site and link repository offers technical articles, FAQs, scripts, reviews, and news.
From the Vendors
Sites provided by the actual vendors of the specific databases; i.e., product home pages and related resources provided by the vendor.
Microsoft SQL Server Community is where you'll find answers in Microsoft newsgroups, locate non-Microsoft SQL Server communities, join in chats, and share best practices and tips with your peers.
- Oracle Corporation's main database products page. See also the Developer Suite and Application Server sections, as well as the developer oriented Oracle Technology Network (OTN).
- IBM DB2
- IBM's official DB2 products home page, with platform-specific Universal Database sections and links to related tools and events.
- developerWorks : DB2is your starting place for technical information about the DB2 and Data Management development platform. You'll find articles, sample code, tutorials, tools, and more.
- IBM's home page for the Informix line of OLTP products.
- Home page for the open source database engine, MySQL.
- MS Access
- Microsoft's Access page includes purchasing/licensing information, downloads and support information, tutorials, and tips.
- SAP DB
- Home page for the free Enterprise Open Source Database.
- 4th Dimension (4D Inc)
- The 4D product line, including the WebSTAR Server Suite for Mac OS.
- FileMaker Pro
- News, purchase, and support information.
- Visual FoxPro
- Microsoft's Visual FoxPro home page, from the Microsoft Developer's Network. Tutorials, tools, and downloads (service packs).
- NetLib Encryptionizer
- Automatic whole-database encryption and column encryption for SQL Server, MSDE, and MS Access
Sites that will provide you with further database related Web resources; i.e., other link directories and listings.
- Dr. Dobb's Journal: Database Development
- Site subsection with links to specific DB articles and further Web resources. Edited by Doug Reilly.