It is most likely that a DBA would like to be notified when automatic database file growth occurs. This script does the following:
- add a user-defined error message to state that file size has changed
- create an alert for that message. This alert will send email to .
- create a table to store file size for each file within a database
- create stored procedure to compare the current file size and the stored file size. If file size has changed this stored procedure will raise the error and it will trigger the alert.
- create a scheduled job to run the procedure regularly. You can modify the schedule accordingly to your requirements.
Before executing the file_growth.sql script you need to replace string with an appropriate operator's name and replace with the database name where you will create the 'usp_dba_monitor_file_growth' stored procedure and 'dba_file_info' table. Make sure that SQL Mail and SQL Server Agent are running.
Author: Tanya Stolyar
Disclaimer: We hope that the information on these script pages is
valuable to you. Your use of the information contained in these pages,
however, is at your sole risk. All information on these pages is provided
"as -is", without any warranty, whether express or implied, of its accuracy,
completeness, or fitness for a particular purpose...
Back to Database Journal Home