Although there may be more candidates before the final release, the first release candidate for open source database PostgreSQL version 9.0 is now available for download. Here is what’s new about PostgreSQL 9.0:
- Streaming Replication, allowing a slave system to receive Write Ahead Logs from the primary server as they are generated
- Hot Standby, providing connection to a server in recovery mode, also allowing it to process read-only queries and resume normal operations without disconnecting users
- Full support for 64-bit Windows
- Improved reporting queries, SQL standard per-column triggers Easier database permission management
- Enhanced Perl and Python integration
- And a changed disk format which requires a pg_dump to export from older database versions, or using pg-migrator to directly update the data directory.