Create a Copy of the Foodmart Sales Report
As we have noted, we will be working with a copy of the Foodmart Sales report, to keep the original sample intact for easy access and use at another time.
1. Right-click the Reports folder underneath the Shared Data Sources folder, in the Solution Explorer.
2. Select Add --> Add Existing Item from the cascading context menus that appear, as depicted in Illustration 6.
The Add Existing Item - MDX_DRILLTHROUGH dialog appears.
When we installed Reporting Services, the default installation point for the sample report files was the Samples folder within the Reporting Services program folder. A common example of this default path is as follows:
C:\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Reporting Services\Samples\Reports
3. Using the Add Existing Item - MDX_DRILLTHROUGH dialog, navigate to the location of the sample reports in your own environment.
An example of the Add Existing Item - MDX_DRILLTHROUGH dialog, having been pointed to the sample Reports folder (which contains the Foodmart Sales report we seek), appears as partially shown in Illustration 7.
Illustration 7: Navigating to the Sample Reports Folder ...
4. Right-click the Foodmart Sales report inside the dialog.
5. Select Copy from the context menu that appears, as depicted in Illustration 8.
Illustration 8: Performing a Quick Copy of the FoodMart Sales Report
6. Within the Add Existing Item - MDX_DRILLTHROUGH dialog, navigate to the MDX_DRILLTHROUGH folder we created earlier, when we added the new MDX_DRILLTHROUGH project.
7. Right-click somewhere in the white space inside the MDX_DRILLTHROUGH folder, within the dialog.
8. Select Paste from the context menu that appears, as shown in Illustration 9.
Illustration 9: Select Paste within the New Folder ...
A copy of the Foodmart Sales report appears within the dialog.
9. Right-click the new file.
10. Select Rename from the context menu that appears.
11. Type the following name in place of the highlighted existing name:
NOTE: Be sure to include the .rdl extension in the file name.
The renamed copy of the Foodmart Sales sample report appears as depicted in Illustration 10.
Illustration 10: The New Report File, MDX_DRILLTHROUGH.rdl
12. Click the white space to the right of the file name, to accept the new name we have assigned.
13. Re-select the new file by clicking it.
14. Click Open on the dialog box to add the new report to report project MDX_DRILLTHROUGH.
MDX_DRILLTHROUGH.rdl appears in the Reports folder, within the MDX_DRILLTHROUGH project tree in the Solution Explorer, as shown in Illustration 11.
Illustration 11: The New Report Appears in Solution Explorer - Report Folder
15. From the main menu in the design environment, select File ---> Save All, as depicted in Illustration 12.
Illustration 12: Select File --> Save All to Save Our Work So Far ...
Leaving the Report Designer open, we will now briefly visit Analysis Services to enable drillthrough for the Warehouse sample cube, which we will then target with MDX queries in our practice exercise.