From the publisher:
This book assumes that the reader has read Beginning PHP 4 and he does not have much of a clue about databases (almost Zero Database Quotient). So this book should be able to teach the reader how to build robust database driven PHP web applications. Further, this book is kind of a ‘getting-the reader-ready’ for PHP5 which will have strong OO and PEAR DB focus. So we teach the Beginning PHP DB developer the best practices to be adopted when getting into active development.
After reading the book, developers will be fluent in database systems and how to take advantage of them in PHP applications.
What does this book cover?
- PHP review which focuses on the Object-Oriented programming with PHP
- An introduction to database systems and the types of DBMS
- Understanding relational databases in detail
- The Structured Query Language and its implementations in data manipulation and retrieval
- Consistency handling and checks in PHP applications
- Stored Procedures and Cursors
- PHP and relational databases
- Discussion on using PEAR::DB
Summary of Contents
|Chapter 1:||PHP Fundamentals||11|
|Chapter 2:||Database Fundamentals||57|
|Chapter 3:||Understanding Relational Databases||89|
|Chapter 4:||The Structured Query Language||107|
|Chapter 5:||SQL: Data Manipulation and Retrieval||141|
|Chapter 6:||Data Consistency||177|
|Chapter 7:||Advanced SQL and PHP||199|
|Chapter 8:||PHP and Relational Databases||227|
|Chapter 9:||Dissecting PEAR::DB||251|
|Chapter 10:||Case Study: Using PEAR::DB – An Accounts Receivable Application||275|
|Chapter 11:||CaseStudy: Using Object Databases – A Library Automation System||315|
|Chapter 12:||Native XML Databases||337|
|Chapter 13:||Case Study: Using Xindice – A Recipe Exchange||389|
|Appendix B:||PHP Database Functions||471|
|Appendix C:||Installing PHP, Apache, and iODBC||515|
Buy this book
Beginning PHP 4 Databases
Author: Christopher Scollo, et.al.
Publication Date: October 2002
© 2002 Wrox Press